Monday, August 11, 2008

One world One Dream. A dream it to be over soon! AGGGHH

My Olympic RANT!

Okay this is so un-American of me and I realize there is a very small percentage of people who agree with me but truly dislike (almost hate) the Olympics! Not the sports or the idea of watching sports - that (for the most part) can be entertaining. But the whole idea of the Olympics is just ridiculous to me!

What is the Olympics? And international mulit-sport event.

Why do we have them? Why really why? (I don't really understand that part.) Brings people together? I think this may have once been the reason - long ago - now politicians are using it as a soap box to explain what is wrong with other countries. GW did that exact thing in Thailand this year! Now it is so commercialized and political - it seems like it's about the money.

Who participates? I know - you won't all agree with me but the rich. The well trained - have you ever heard of a trainer that was cheap? Good athletes are good because a lot of time and MONEY went into their training. So why does that matter? Because these athletes are not the best of the best - the are the best of the rich. And that is not what the Olympics should be about. AND what about the kids in countries that have no resources... how can they compete? And what about the countries that pick who is going to be good and put their government resources into developing that person... they are not the best in their country! They are the chosen ones! And let me tell you - a lot of countries are not picking the poor kids! And then the human rights issues that come along with taking kids away from their families to "train" them to win gold? There is more but I could go on and on - that's just a small look at what is fundamentally WRONG with the Olympics.

It truly makes me want to scream when I hear, "The worlds best athletes." WHAT??? No it is not!! Whatever!

Where is it held? The western cities - that have funds. Africa? Not yet - too poor. Do they want it there? YES.

Citius Altius Fortius - Faster, Higher, Stronger.

From the internet: Participation in the Games has increased to the point that nearly every nation on earth is represented. With the proliferation of satellite communications, the internet, and the continuing trend towards globalization, the Olympics are consistently gaining supporters. This growth has created numerous challenges, including political boycotts, the use of performance enhancing medications, bribery of officials, and terrorism. WHAT??

So it is on TV until the end of this month - SO I will support my country and root for my fellow Americans. I will try to let their stories inspire me to workout harder and longer and faster and stronger. And that is what I am trying to take away from the 2008 Summer Olympics!




No comments: