Monday, September 17, 2007

Is being good, for the good of good, not good enough?

Barry Manalo's "my eyes adore you" is a really annoying song! I just changed the channel to CNN and it got me thinking.

NYC Private school is paying kids for doing well. I don't know what to think about this. Why should we pay kids for learning and doing well? What has happened in society that makes people not just want to do well to be the best? What is that all about?

I mean I know there will be people that will say that's okay, and there will be those that will say heck no... but my question isn't is it right or wrong... my question is...

WHAT happened to our society where every time we (humans) do well, they feel someone owes us something? Why do we have to get some kind of reward for doing good? What happened to doing good in school - so that you are a good productive person in society, so that you EARN the right to get into a good college, so that you EARN a good job, so that you EARN a good pay??? What has happened? I mean I really want to know! What is it?

Is being good, for the good of good, not good enough???

I don't have any problems paying my own kids for good grades - but how do I instill in them that I think the BIGGER problems is that I want them to want to do good... not for $?

No comments: